I took off work. I have one job this week: to keep my 7 and 5 year old nieces alive until their parents return from Ireland. I am loving time with these two intelligent, humorous, energetic little ladies, but it's also stretching me! I'm learning to be more patient and calm in the chaos they create. They are imaginative children. I'm used to managing large teams of consultants, which is nothing like taking care of my Presley and Paxten.
A few tidbits:
- Presley fell off the monkey bars and got the wind knocked out of her. It was the most horrific few minutes as she gasp for air. Horrific. My husband is a perennial champion in tough situations. He talked her through the process and encouraged her to relax as much as possible, and then he carried her home. She's fine today.
- As soon as we sat down to eat at Rudy's BBQ, Paxten threw up all over herself. Luckily my husband was with me, I scooped her up and took her to the restroom while my husband cleaned up the table and retrieved extra clothes from the car. I don't know what I would have done if I had been on my own, which I am right now.
- Presley read me four books last night, which was magical.
- Paxten likes to talk through her day, which is also magical.
- You can see the bond of sisterhood between my two nieces, even though they like to annoy each other too. They are going to be friends for life!